Our Bodies (how we cycle)
- MENSTRUATION: The first day of a cycle is the first day you bleed, your period.
-your period typically last 3 to 5 days
-it varies for every woman though….just as your cycle length does too…anywhere from 24 to 40 days!
2. Then we dry up for a bit, our temperatures are low and our cervixes are closed and firm.
3. FOLLICULAR PHASE: After our period ends (sometimes even towards the end of your period) you begin your follicular phase which is when your ovaries start growing a few eggs which will emit estrogen into your body.
-estrogen tells your uterus to start preparing for a baby
-to add a fresh layer of blood to the uterus wall.
-to open and soften your cervix
-secrete vaginal mucus from the cervical crypts! Which will keep sperm alive for 5 days.
-which can start as gummy/tacky then turn to creamy/sticky and turn slippery/eggwhite
-This begins your FERTILE PHASE. Mucus means fertile time.
-and to keep your body temperature cool. Typically somewhere in the 97 degree range.
The follicular part of the cycle will last about 10 days.
*If you have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome this part of the cycle will last a long time.
4. OVULATION (this is when you most fertile): Once the egg is ripe and ready to go it will break free from its shell in the ovary and travels into the fallopian tube.
*The egg will live in the fallopian tube for only 12-24 hours!!!
*at this point you will have really wet/stretchy/eggwhite mucus. Like in the pictures we looked at.
5. LUTEAL PHASE (you are no longer fertile): after you ovulate the shell that released the egg from the ovary will begin to make progesterone.
-Progesteron tells the body to make your bloody uterus lining spongy
-it dries up your mucus. No more vaginal mucus.
-It warms you up your body temperature (typically in the high 97 or 98 degree mark,
youwill see a clear shift from low to high temps depending on your body)
-your cervix becomes firm and closed
*Your shell that released the egg dies in about 2 weeks (12-16 days) after ovulation. THEN YOU BLEED AGAIN!!!!! And start over. From the top.
*your temperature will drop down again once you bleed.
*if your are pregnant then your temperature won’t drop….sorry.